oyd & Boyd has served Callaway County, Missouri since 1934. To the company’s acclaim, we are the only title company operating in Callaway County to house a complete set of county records and Boyd & Boyd is proud to be a Fourth Generation family business. Boyd & Boyd is further proud to be a pioneer in the title industry. For example, we used microfilm following World War II in 1946, at a time when the belief was such that it could not be done in any county having a population of less than 100,000 people. Boyd & Boyd was the first title company in Missouri to use xerography.
Boyd & Boyd’s history began when Clyde R. Boyd, an attorney, and his wife Christine bought the Guthrie title plant from the estate of M. Logan Guthrie. Clyde and Christine Boyd operated upstairs in the Old Southern Bank building until 1941, when they moved to the ground floor in the old Bell block on the east side of the Court House square. In 1944, they bought a building from the Gross family at 408 Market, which had originally been used as the post office. In 1967, Boyd & Boyd constructed a building at 106 East Fourth Street and later added on to it in 1979. Most recently, a 9500 square foot building at 204 E. 5 th Street was purchased and remodeled. On April 25 th, 2005 Boyd & Boyd opened their doors at this new location.
In 1957, William B. Boyd, a son, who had left Fulton to work for various title companies in Missouri, Kansas, and New Mexico, came home to purchase the abstract plant of the late F. M. Rootes and merged with his father, Clyde, to form as a partnership. In 1964, they incorporated under the name of Boyd & Boyd, Inc.
Clyde R. Boyd died in February, 1968, and Christine Boyd followed in October, 1969. William M. Boyd, a grandson, joined the firm following his graduation from Westminster College in 1974 and was elected to the office of president in 1980 and now serves on the Board of Directors. Jack B. Boyd, another grandson, joined the firm following his graduation from the University of Florida in 1976, and has served in the capacities of treasurer, vice-president, and president. Like their father, both boys worked for the firm through high school and college. In 1997, Julia Boyd Uhls, great granddaughter of Clyde and Christine, joined the firm following her graduation from Transylvania University. In 2001, Chad E. Uhls, husband of Julia, joined the firm following college at The University of Kentucky and a brief career in banking.
In 2002, William M. Boyd and Jack B. Boyd both retired, and William B. Boyd passed away on July 26 th. Julia Boyd Uhls and Chad E. Uhls purchased the firm and continue to operate it today. Julia serving as President and Chad as Vice President. William M. Boyd and Jack B. Boyd continue to serve in an advisory capacity.